Tootgarook Primary School (TPS) is very proud to be selected as one of the first fifty primary schools to participate in the KidsMatter program, the national primary schools mental health initiative.
This program involves the people who have significant influence on our children’s lives – parents, families, care givers, teachers and community groups – in making a positive difference for children’s mental health.
This initiative aims to:
- Improve the mental health and wellbeing of primary school students
- Reduce mental health problems amongst students
- Achieve greater support for students experiencing mental health problems.
The core content of KidsMatter focuses on the core components of:
- A positive school community
- A sense of belonging within the school community
- A welcoming and friendly school environment
- Collaborative involvement of students, staff, families and the community in the school
Social and emotional learning for students
- An effective social and emotional learning curriculum
- Opportunities for all students to practise skills
Parenting support and education
- Effective parent/teacher relationships
- Provision of parenting information and education
- Opportunities for families to develop support networks
Early intervention for students experiencing mental health difficulties
- Promotion of early intervention for mental health difficulties
- Attitudes towards mental health difficulties
- Processes for addressing the needs of students experiencing mental health difficulties